It’s almost Mother’s Day, and most of us are trying to figure out how to show our mothers the appreciation they deserve. Of course, any mom would appreciate any sort of gift, as most mothers do, but, we all strive to make sure the special woman in our lives feels appreciated on her special day.
While it’s thoughtful to get her flowers, a box of chocolates, a day at the spa, or a even gift card to her favorite store, there are other thoughtful options out there may cost less! Remember back when Mothers oogled over the homemade cards that we would give her on Mother’s Day? This kind of genuine gifts of appreciation are exactly what one should keep in mind when shopping for Mother’s Day.
This Mother’s Day, try personalizing your mom’s gift by creating her own gift bag or basket with a specific theme in mind. Here are five different gift bag ideas that will have your mom crying tears of joy, all for under $25:
- A night at the movies: Has it been a long time since your mom sat down and watched a really good chick-flick? Or even a thriller? Create a movie night basket for your mom. You can include a good DVD you can purchase from Amazon for under $10 or get her a one-month Netflix subscription for $7.99, include a box of microwavable popcorn that costs under $4 and her favorite wine for under $10. Package it up nicely in a gift bag or a small basket and include your own homemade card. The key is to personalize every detail to her taste.
- An evening with bubbles: With most moms, everyone comes before them and by the time they get to themselves, they are simply too exhausted to do anything, even take a bath. Create a gift basket for mom by including her favorite scented bubble bath which should be less than $8, her favorite bottle of wine for under $10 and a copy of her favorite magazine for under $5. Since mom is usually busy, having it right there for her will give her the incentive to take some time out and enjoy her evening doing absolutely nothing.
- A fitness funday: Your mom might have been saying that she wants to get in shape in passing conversation, but she probably also mentioned that she didn’t have the time to do it. Put a fun fitness gift bag together for her to enjoy on her time off. If she likes yoga, include a nice DVD you can find for under $10, a yoga mat for under $10 and a water bottle for her to hydrate during her workout for under $5. No more excuses for mom and she will be grateful that you actually listened to her when she was talking and got something that she needed.
- A 30-minute meal: Is your mom a foodie? Does she like to cook fabulous meals at home, but she doesn’t have the time to shop, prep, cook and eat. Well, leave it to you to do all the shopping and prepping and leave it up to her to do the cooking and eating. Pick her favorite meal, get a fancy recipe from a cookbook and buy all the ingredients. Portion it out according to the recipe card and put them in sandwich bags with labels on them. Put them in a gift bag with the recipe card and directions, asking your mom to cook and eat within a given time period since produce can go bad quickly. If you have a bigger budget than $25, you can also include the cookbook in your gift bag.
- A kid in the candy store: Does mom have a sweet tooth? Depending on when your mom was born, she might have fond memories eating certain candies and she might have also told you about them. Gather your mom’s top five to ten candies and package them nicely in a tin can or a see-through plastic bag you can get from any party supply store and tie it with a big bow. For example, if your mom was a child in the 1950s, consider Atomic Fireballs, Hot Tamales or Cup-O-Gold. If she grew up in the 1960s, take a look at bananas splits and Twizzlers. Check out the website OldTimeCandy.com for more ideas.
Last, but not least, don’t forget to tell her that you love her!
Source: www.usnews.com; Susan Yoo-Lee; April 29, 2014.